From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-java] Furball
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 04:59:10
1 Karl, Josh, and friends,
2
3 Given the furball that is erupting on gentoo-dev, I think that you need
4 to make a very decisive point and make it quickly. I therefore recommend
5 that you go ahead and merge all the migration packages to the official
6 portage tree *now*.
7
8 They will all be in ~arch, of course. Where absolutely necessary you can
9 hard-mask, but I think that a slightly less than perfect migration now
10 is better than getting sucked into the overlay madhouse. That
11 conversation is long beyond redemption, and rather than wasting energy
12 getting caught up trying to swim alongside it, just merge your work and
13 let a wider audience participate in finishing the job.
14
15 If manual action is necessary during the upgrade process, well, that's
16 certainly nothing people are unprepared to encounter. This is Gentoo
17 after all.
18
19 Now that I think of it, this is, after all, "release early, release
20 often". So pull the trigger, baby: freeze over, merge to HEAD.
21
22 Good luck, and thanks for all the hard work.
23
24 AfC
25 Sydney
28 Andrew Frederick Cowie
29 Operational Dynamics
30
31 Website: http://www.operationaldynamics.com/
32 Blog: http://research.operationaldynamics.com/blogs/andrew/
33 GPG key: 0945 9282 449C 0058 1FF5 2852 2D51 130C 57F6 E7BD
34
35 Sydney +61 2 9977 6866
36 New York +1 646 472 5054
37 Toronto +1 416 848 6072