From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] java-pkg-simple and java-mvn-src eclasses
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 23:54:58
Ok, things to note and it would be interesting to see whether other
dev's agree with me:

java-pkg-simple.eclass:

	1) inherit java-utils-2 (this is required) instead of java-pkg-2.  Add
checks to ensure java-pkg-2 is inheritted (so ebuild does it).
	2) create the jar within src_compile, not src install.
	3) I would like to see var's like JAVA_SRC_DIR(S) so that
java-pkg_dosrc and javadoc could be generated and installed.  See what
you can do :)

java-mvn-src.eclass:
	Have this inherit from java-pkg-simple.eclass
	Im also concerned about how you are attempting to download a single
file from multiple locations. Im told it is valid, but would rather set
it up as a thirdpartymirror.

*.ebuilds:
	inherit java-pkg-2 [java-pkg-simple java-mvn-src]

With the eclasses i'm trying to make them as similar to the layout (and
relationships) of java-pkg-2 and java-ant-2

Martin von Gagern wrote:
> Hi! > > I propose two new eclasses. One is for building java packages from their > *.java source files, without any additional build instructions. The > second builds on it and is intended for source bundles exported by the > source:jar goal of Maven2. Two parts of istack-commons can be bumped > using these, in order to address https://bugs.gentoo.org/188015 . > > I would like to commit all of these to java-experimental if there are no > objectsion. If you leave the Subject in place, I will catch replies to > this list. Otherwise please Cc me personally, as I don't read every mail > to the list. > > On IRC selckin1 said: "simple eclass to build simple java packages has > been proposed many times. my main question would be why doesn't it exist > allready, this been suggested many times going back years, must be a > reason." Any input on this would be useful as well.
My only concern with "simple eclasses" is it could compile, bundle and install tests, or even more concerning be used to bypass a "better" build system that includes unit tests, etc, etc.