From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] work on gcj for gentoo
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:17:01
1 On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 10:45 -0500, Joshua Nichols wrote:
2 > I'm not fond of the name gcj-jdk. The ebuild Andrew made was just for
3 > gcj itself, without the Java compatibility stuff, iirc. -jdk suggests
4 > that it provides a usable JDK, which it doesn't as it was.
5
6 ... but was hoping to get there some day.
7
8 > Speaking of which, I think the added compatibility layer (for javac,
9 > java, etc) should be a separate package. I'm not sure if this was your
10 > intention or not. Either way, it would make sense, since you would most
11 > likely be able to use the same layer for different versions of gcj.
12
13 You guys are the devs, so packag{ing,e name} decisions are yours to make
14 as you see fit.
15
16 The decision would seem to be
17
18 dev-java/gcj
19 dev-java/java-gcj-compat depends on dev-java/gcj
20
21 vs
22
23 dev-java/gcj-jdk
24
25 While I prefer the latter name, I am very sensitive to the issue that
26 once we call it a jdk (or rather, once java-config allows it to be
27 selected) we're in for a nightmare of people's expectations not matching
28 what is actually there...
29
30 [shit like "why isn't it magically creating a binary for me? I thought
31 GCJ created binaries! Bastards, rant rant rant]
32
33 ... which we'll probably get either way, especially as people
34 misunderstand the { dev-java/gnu-classpath version vs gcj's imported
35 version of classpath } issue and the { what Free Java is capable of
36 these days } issue and the { gcj -C plus gij as JDK vs gcj -c plus gcj
37 (link) as native compiler } issue.
38
39 Lots of misunderstanding! Oh well. Doesn't mean we shouldn't carry on
40 and leverage what the Red Hat boys are up to.
41
42 AfC
43 Sydney