From: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] work on gcj for gentoo
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:17:01
On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 10:45 -0500, Joshua Nichols wrote:
> I'm not fond of the name gcj-jdk. The ebuild Andrew made was just for > gcj itself, without the Java compatibility stuff, iirc. -jdk suggests > that it provides a usable JDK, which it doesn't as it was.
... but was hoping to get there some day.
> Speaking of which, I think the added compatibility layer (for javac, > java, etc) should be a separate package. I'm not sure if this was your > intention or not. Either way, it would make sense, since you would most > likely be able to use the same layer for different versions of gcj.
You guys are the devs, so packag{ing,e name} decisions are yours to make as you see fit. The decision would seem to be dev-java/gcj dev-java/java-gcj-compat depends on dev-java/gcj vs dev-java/gcj-jdk While I prefer the latter name, I am very sensitive to the issue that once we call it a jdk (or rather, once java-config allows it to be selected) we're in for a nightmare of people's expectations not matching what is actually there... [shit like "why isn't it magically creating a binary for me? I thought GCJ created binaries! Bastards, rant rant rant] ... which we'll probably get either way, especially as people misunderstand the { dev-java/gnu-classpath version vs gcj's imported version of classpath } issue and the { what Free Java is capable of these days } issue and the { gcj -C plus gij as JDK vs gcj -c plus gcj (link) as native compiler } issue. Lots of misunderstanding! Oh well. Doesn't mean we shouldn't carry on and leverage what the Red Hat boys are up to. AfC Sydney