From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: Renat Lumpau <rl03@g.o>, gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] webapp-config & Java
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:31:06
1 Hi,
2
3 2006/1/25, Renat Lumpau <rl03@g.o>:
4 >
5 > Hello,
6 >
7 > I am looking into making webapp-config Java-aware. While there are quite a
8 > few
9 > things that would need to happen from both the w-c and Java ends, it
10 > definitely
11 > seems plausible.
12 >
13 > The first step is to develop a directory structure for Java webapps that
14 > supports virtual hosts and plays nice with GLEP 11.
17 I'm not sure this is the right way to go... The standard way to deploy a
18 J2EE application (wether web or more than web, this is containing EJBs and
19 other stuff) is using an enterprise application archive. This is basically a
20 jar file with .ear extension and with its content arranged in a specified
21 way. In the case of pure web applications (only servlets/JSPs) you may use
22 directly a web archive, this is a jar file with .war extension and again
23 with its contents arranged in a specified way. Some containers provide
24 support for deploying an exploded (unzipped, unjarred, whatever you call it)
25 application, but I think this is not dictated by the standard, so you can't
26 count on this. Once you deploy the application, it's up to the server to do
27 whatever it wants to run the application: it could unzip (unjar) the
28 application to a working directory, or maybe just work from the provided
29 file, as long as it publishes the web application as the standard dictates.
30
31 Moreover, I'm not sure you could create virtual hosting based only on J2EE
32 servers, as I don't remember this to be included in the J2EE standard, and
33 again you can't count on it. I think the best way to do this would be to
34 provide virtual hosting using Apache and then use some connector to forward
35 requests to the corresponding J2EE server. As far as I know this can be done
36 with Tomcat, Jetty and JBoss fro your list.
37
38 All four J2EE/servlet
39 > engines currently in Portage (tomcat, jetty, resin, and jboss) implement
40 > this in
41 > their own way:
42 >
43 > - tomcat stores webapps in /var/lib/tomcat-5/{vhost}/webapps. There is
44 > one "default" vhost.
45 > - jetty stores webapps in /opt/jetty/webapps. There is currently no
46 > vhost hierarchy, although I believe it should be easy to create one
47 > under
48 > /opt/jetty/webapps/{vhost}
49 > - resin stores webapps in /opt/resin/webapps. There is currently no
50 > vhost hierarchy, although I believe it should be easy to create one
51 > under
52 > /opt/resin/webapps/{vhost}
53 > - jboss is less straightforward. It appears that webapps go into
54 > /var/lib/jboss/{all,default,minimal}, but I'm not sure what the
55 > difference
56 > between those three directories is or how vhosts are handled.
59 JBoss is thought as a microkernel to which you add containers and services
60 as needed. In this case, each container (web, EJB) or service can be added
61 or removed to create an instance of the server that suits your needs. JBoss
62 comes with three configurations out of the box, one with all availables
63 services activated, one as the default configuration used for most of the
64 J2EE applications and one with a minimal set of services activated. Each of
65 them has its own directory where all the necessary files for that
66 configuration live.
67
68 I propose to add a Java-specific directory under /var/www/{vhost}, such as
69 > /var/www/localhost/java (perhaps there is a better name than java?). This
70 > directory could be symlinked from the tomcat/jetty/resin/jboss locations,
71 > much
72 > like what tomcat already does. This would have the benefit of keeping
73 > everything
74 > related to one vhost (statis HTML, servlets, CGI scripts, etc) in one
75 > location.
76 >
77 > Comments and suggestions (esp. from Java folks) are welcome. I would
78 > particularly like to figure out what to do with jboss.
81 I think the best bet would be to explore the API for J2EE application
82 deployment (JSR 88) (http://java.sun.com/j2ee/tools/deployment/,
83 http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=88&showPrint). This API intends to
84 provide a common contract every J2EE application server should comply with,
85 so you could create a generic deploy tool that would be independent from the
86 server you would be deploying to.
87
88 A quick googling of JSR 88 reports this link as something to take into
89 account: http://cargo.codehaus.org/. This tool is being actively developed
90 by the Maven guys, and I'm pretty sure that could be used to deploy web and
91 J2EE applications to any supported server.
92
93 A final note: don't know if you know the difference between a java web
94 application an a full blown J2EE application... reading your mail I get the
95 feeling that you think that J2EE is similar in complexity to a PHP web
96 application, and this isn't the case. Just in case, from the four servers
97 you mention, three of them are just web containers, this is, they only
98 support a small part of the full J2EE stack. Only JBoss is a full J2EE
99 server. I think you should add to that list a few other servers that are
100 full J2EE stacks, and quite popular, like Geronimo (from Apache,
101 http://geronimo.apache.org/)
102
103 HTH, best regards
104 Jose
105
106 (Sorry to post only to the java list, but I'm not subscribed to web-user)