From: Krzysiek Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
To: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Re: Deprecating JDK 1.4
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:15:17
Jörg Schaible wrote:
> Please note, that Sun is still supporting JDK 1.3 for *paying* customers. It > will take years till Sun is completely dropping 1.4: > > http://www.sun.com/software/javaseforbusiness/support.jsp
Yes, but the free Java world goes forward, plethora of projects use generics - and they require >= 1.5 (or any other feature of JDK 1.5).
> Therefore I still have even 1.3 ebuilds on my local tree. And I had to > download and use the official ant binaries to run it with 1.3. Dropping 1.4 > means also that it is no longer possible to run Maven with its minimum JDK > requirement.
Yes, but VM which is running maven is not the same as VM for which the code is generated (note -source and -target options of javac).
> In Gentoo all is about choice, but this seem not to apply for Java > development. For me it gets unusable.
You're missing the point: the official tree (gentoo-x86) will require >=1.5, *but*: if you install JDK 1.4 (or any other version) you can still use it for your own software (including maven, ant and so on). Also like I said - more and more things require 1.5, which means that all things depending on them also need to be >= 1.5. For example: new hessian requires >= 1.5, which means that mx4j needs also to be switched to 1.5, which means we have to switch anything depending on mx4j, and so on. -- Krzysiek Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xBC555551 desktop-misc, java, apache, ppc, vim, kernel, python...