From: John Elm <lists.john.elm@×××××.com>
To: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Wanted: AppFuse webapplications
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:26:59
1 Hi Karl,
2
3 While many people are enthusiastic about AppFuse, I think what Matt is
4 actually saying on that page (the "Sliced Bread" statement) is that
5 Springis the best thing since sliced bread. Prolly a tad confusing.
6
7 What I've gathered is that AppFuse is meant to be a get-you-started
8 application generator. I think the problem it aims to solve is to create a
9 skeleton of an application for you, given your choices from a handful of
10 open source options for various layers, i.e. O/R. I think it's especially
11 useful for developers that want to use some of these frameworks but don't
12 have experience with several of them.
13
14 Say I have experience with all the things I want to use, except Hibernate.
15 I'd go to the Hibernate site and learn the basics. But if I want an app
16 that uses Hibernate, Spring, Acegi Security and DWR, learning each of them
17 and piecing together a working starting implementation can take quite a bit
18 of time and effort. I think it this particular problem that AppFuse is
19 meant to help us with.