From: John Elm <lists.john.elm@×××××.com>
To: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Wanted: AppFuse webapplications
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:26:59
Hi Karl,

While many people are enthusiastic about AppFuse, I think what Matt is
actually saying on that page (the "Sliced Bread" statement) is that
Springis the best thing since sliced bread.  Prolly a tad confusing.

What I've gathered is that AppFuse is meant to be a get-you-started
application generator.  I think the problem it aims to solve is to create a
skeleton of an application for you, given your choices from a handful of
open source options for various layers, i.e. O/R.  I think it's especially
useful for developers that want to use some of these frameworks but don't
have experience with several of them.

Say I have experience with all the things I want to use, except Hibernate.
I'd go to the Hibernate site and learn the basics.  But if I want an app
that uses Hibernate, Spring, Acegi Security and DWR, learning each of them
and piecing together a working starting implementation can take quite a bit
of time and effort.  I think it this particular problem that AppFuse is
meant to help us with.