From: Wiktor Wandachowicz <siryes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Re: dealing with VM vendors that don't change distfiles names
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 22:40:16
1 Joshua Nichols <nichoj@...> writes:
2
3 > Thoughts?
4
5 There's nothing I can think of that wouldn't interfere with how portage
6 deals with the downloads right now... :-(
7
8 > * Have users rename the files. This is used in a few cases at least.
9
10 When the file must be downloaded manually, it's not a big deal.
11 It was clearly documented last time when the jdk docs got the -r1 suffix.
12 Unexpected, intriguing, but went smooth anyway (at least in my case).
13
14 > This leads to the question of how to version the ebuilds though, because
15 > they don't follow a sane (to us) versioning scheme, ie GA, SR-1, SR-2, etc.
16
17 Hummm... Add the date when the change occured? (like with old Wine?)
18
19 > * Just redigest the ebuild with the new distfile. This would be the
20 > quickest solution, but it'd be problematic because then the digest would
21 > be broken for people that already have the distfiles.
22 >
23 > * Some totally awesome way I haven't of yet.
26 Maybe instead put the "known" digest in the ebuild(s) or eclass, write the
27 necessary function(s) in eclass(es) or hack portage /again/, and finally do
28 some voodoo on the user's side to rename the downloaded files as desired.
29
30 * If the digest of the file happens to be "unknown", because the user didn't
31 do 'emerge --sync' yet (thus: old ebuild, no new "known" digests, updated
32 download - or partial), then print an error and abort.
33
34 * If the required file already exist in 'distfiles' and the digest detects
35 that this is the "old" version, rename it and download the new file
36 (with optional rename).
37
38 I'm afraid that the above mockup is completely inconsistent with the current
39 portage behaviour. Digesting, checking, downloading (but: no renaming) is
40 right now automatic and doesn't handle the above scenarios... yet! ;-)
41
42 But this *might* work. Although I cannot proove it... :-/
43
44 Friendly,
47 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list