From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: Ted Kosan <tkosan@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Re: Gentoo/Java staffing needs
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 04:10:29
1 Ted Kosan wrote:
2 > Joshua wrote:
3 >
4 > Two of the difficulties that seem to be contributing to the Java team's
5 > understaffing problem are:
6 >
7 > 1) A significant number of Java developers do not know very much about Linux
8 > and of those who do, not many of them are familiar with Gentoo.
9 >
10 > 2) Of those Java developers who are aware of Gentoo and its solid support for
11 > Java, many of them do not have enough Linux skills to successfully install it.
15 I totally agree. Usually, you don't get the right combination of Java
16 and Linux skills in folks that are interested in helping out.
17 > After thinking about the understaffing problem for a few months, I have come up
18 > with an idea that may help solve these difficulties.
19 >
20 > I am one of the community leaders on Sun's java.net site ( http://java.net )
21 > and I have put together a "Java Distribution" LiveCD ( called JDOS,
22 > https://jdos.dev.java.net ) which is based on Gentoo. JDOS is ready for its
23 > initial release and the last thing I am waiting on is for Sun's new
24 > Linux-friendly JDK files to be added to the portage tree.
25 >
26 > One advantage that the java.net site has is that thousands of Java developers
27 > visit it each day to read blogs, articles and other news items.
28 >
29 > As soon as it is released, my plan is to write some articles and blog entries
30 > on JDOS ( and its Gentoo foundation ) for publication on java.net's front page.
31 > My hope is that a number of Java developers will find the CD to be useful and
32 > then be interested in having their own Java software, or the latest version of
33 > their favorite Java applications, included on the LiveCD.
36 This is very cool! I wish I had heard about it earlier. One of the cool
37 things we had wanted to do, but never quite got to was a live cd showing
38 off our Java packages. In particular, it'd be nice to have a 'developer'
39 cd, loaded with netbeans, eclipse, tomcat, etc, etc.
40
41 I'll try to give it a whirl sometime this weekend.
42 > Since this will require that the software be placed in the portage tree, I am
43 > hoping that some of these developers can be convinced to join the Gentoo Java
44 > team and learn how to create and maintain packages.
45 >
46 That would certainly be great. If there are needs you have in terms of
47 packages, or whatever, don't be afraid to drop a note to this list, or
48 file an appropriate bug.
49 >> * Java generalists
50 >>
51 >> We have tons of Java packages. It was around 400 or so last time I
52 >> checked. As one can imagine, this kind of number
53 >> generates a pretty constant stream of bugs and version bump requests.
54 >>
55 >> So, basically I'm looking for some people to help out with
56 >> general maintence of our packages.
59 > I will volunteer to be part of this group. I would have done this a number of
60 > months ago but I had my hands full learning python so that I could figure out
61 > how to use Catalyst properly :-)
62 >
63 Very cool. I look forward to it :-D
66 Joshua Nichols