From: Krzysiek Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
To: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-java] Supporting Java web applications in Gentoo
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:10:20
1 Yesterday meeting ended and I started my work on Java webapps in Gentoo -
2 preliminary results are documented here:
3
4 * my blog: http://blog.simpledesigns.com.pl/2007/11/11/java-webapps-in-gentoo/
5 * first version of eclass:
6 http://overlays.gentoo.org/dev/nelchael/browser/eclass/java-webapp.eclass?rev=301
7 * current version:
8 http://overlays.gentoo.org/dev/nelchael/browser/eclass/java-webapp.eclass?rev=305
9
10 In java-webapps category there are two ebuilds: test - simple, single servlet
11 application and blojsom - advanced blogging platform.
12
13 What that eclass does exactly? It unpacks all WARs and removes jars that are
14 present on system with symlinks. What that means? If you have webapp foo-1.0.0
15 that depends on bar-1.0.0 library and security issue is found in bar-1.0.0 after
16 upgrading to bar-1.0.1 the webapp will still continue to work, only
17 "user-action" required is a server restart (to load new bar-1.0.1 jar).
18
19 That also means that in WAR file there are no duplicate entries for JARs - less
20 disk space wasted.
21
22 Some webapps may build their own JARs, so eclass has support to not warn about
23 such wars - see usage of WEBAPP_OWNED_JARS in blojsom-3.1.ebuild.
24
25 I'm still working on that eclass, so everything you see in there may still
26 change, my current todo is alos at top of eclass:
27
28 # TODO: documentation
29 # TODO: list of supported servers?
30
31 Eclass also warns if user does not have supported server installed (tomcat,
32 resin for example).
33
34 One important thing is that we need more packages for common stuff - Spring,
35 Struts2, etc (blojsom uses four bundled jars: two are from Spring, commons-email
36 and textile4j).
39 Krzysiek Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xBC555551
40 desktop-misc, x86, java, apache, ppc, vim...