From: Federico Fissore <federico@××××.org>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] CLASSPATH deprecated?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 22:58:05
1 There are mainly two ways to do this:
2
3 1. use a "static" classpath in the form
4 create symlinks to system installed jars and then run something like
5 CLASSPATH="lib/commons-logging.jar:lib/commons-collections.jar"
6 java MyApp
7 2. ask java-config to do that for you
8 CLASSPATH=$(java-config -dp commons-beanutils-1.6) java MyApp
9
10 My preference goes to the first way when packaging an application (if
11 the application expects some jars in some folder) and to the second way
12 when I run my own application (obvioulsy backed by a shell script: I
13 hate writing the same stuff twice)
14
15 Matt Bucknall wrote:
16 > Hello,
17 >
18 > In section 6 of the Gentoo Java Guide, it mentions that setting a
19 > system-wide CLASSPATH should be considered deprecated because
20 > applications should manage their own classpaths. This makes sense, but I
21 > am wondering, how are applications expected to do this? If an
22 > application needs to make use of a 3rd party JAR, does it have to
23 > include it as part of its own installation so it knows which version it
24 > is, and where it is located, or is there some less brute-force automated
25 > means for an application to locate installed libraries?
26 >
27 > Thanks,
28 >
29 > Matt.
30 >
31 > Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
35 : Federico Fissore
36 : Blog : http://www.fridrik.it/blog/
37 : Jabber : federico@×××××××××××.org
39 [] : "The best thing is when you mix free beer and free
40 [][][] | speech 'cause then you get some really free speech"
41 || : Dick Wall
44 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list