From: "Miroslav Šulc" <miroslav.sulc@××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Gentoo/Java staffing needs
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 17:39:50
1 Joshua Nichols wrote:
2 > ...
3 > Eclipse is probably a special case now that I think of it. We like to
4 > package the milestones and RCs as they are released, but they're not
5 > always ready for primetime, or might not work with every plugin yet...
6 > so in this case, it's good to have the brand spanking new release
7 > installed next to the time tested one.
8 >
9 Thank you for the enlightening. What is your opinion about what Caster
10 suggested (copy below)?
11
12 Joshua Nichols wrote:
13
14 > ...
15 > > Both really. Although, maybe it would make sense to have separate
16 > > overlays for things that really are 'experimental' versus things that
17 > > are ready to go into the tree.
20 I agree. And people willing to help but not having the time/etc to
21 become full gentoo devs could have commit access to the "more
22 experimental" overlay and from there devs could review the ebuilds and
23 if they are fine, move to the "ready/reviewed" overlay (or even main
24 tree) - I think it's how the infamous Sunrise overlay works :) I think
25 svn is nicer to work with than sending stuff to maillist or uploading to
26 bugzilla, then dev needs to put it to his overlay himself for review,
27 seems like unnecessary waste of time to me.
30 >> >> I can place those ebuilds I sent you to bugzilla if you want me to,
31 >> >> that's not a problem. Anyway I would appreciate feedback on the ebuilds
32 >> >> because these are my first java ebuilds and I sure missed something.
33 >> >>
34 >>
35 > > That certainly wouldn't hurt, putting them up on bugzilla.
39 Well, if they could be assigned to directly. Now it goes to bug
40 wranglers, and sometimes the reactions on java bugs aren't very warm, as
41 I can see on #gentoo-bugs :( Also, we often need to reassure Jakub that
42 the our bug report isn't invalid because of not following migration
43 guide etc... Maybe trac tickets could be better for making todo notes of
44 stuff so it's somehow organized and not forgotten. There was tickets
45 module in gentooexperimental.org Trac, but I can't see it on
46 overlays.g.o though...
47
48 Just my 2c
49 Caster