From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] ideas for packages which use maven to build
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 18:39:01
1 Joshua Nichols wrote:
2 > I have been thinking recently, and I think I came up with a viable
3 > solution for packaging this that use maven for building.
4 >
5 > The first problem is that maven will attempt to download jar
6 > dependencies from a remote repository. This can be avoided by calling
7 > maven with -o, for offline mode.
8 >
9 > This leads to the question of where, then, to get the jars from. I had
10 > first thought at build time, we could populate a local repository with
11 > symlinks to jars that we provide from packages. This would work, and
12 > could be automated to some extent, but I think it would be tedious to
13 > maintain a list of jars that each package needs.
14
15 Even in the face of such tedium, there is one thing this gives us that
16 your suggestion does not: the ability to actually check for hidden
17 dependencies.
18
19 If we create a local, minimal .jar environment for each maven-built
20 package, we know exactly which jars (and therefore which ebuilds) it
21 depends on.
22
23 In the case where maven itself goes into the system and looks around for
24 .jars that are there, we may quickly end up with it depending on stuff
25 we didn't see.
26
27 This happens with configure scripts and C/C++ applications all the time.
28 Most of the time, we can do ./configure --enable/disable, but sometimes
29 flipping this switch has no effect: it will still automatically
30 autodetect stuff.
33 Before abandoning the idea of ebuild-local maven repos, I think we
34 should be very certain that we're not opening up this Pandora's box of
35 bad mojo.
36
37 That being said, a system-wide maven repo that users can avail
38 themselves of would be great! And AFAICT, it would only need minor
39 tweaks to the java-*.eclasses.
42 Cheers,
43
44 -- Karl T