From: Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org>
To: Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev@×××××.com>
Cc: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>, gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] icedtea6 bootstrap
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 22:01:02
2008/9/17 Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev@×××××.com>:
> On 9/17/08, Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org> wrote: >> First of all, there is no need to go to such lengths removing gcj afterwards. >> It's not going to hurt to leave it on. > > It takes a lot of resources (disk, time rebuilding, unused components). > So there is a reason to keep system as small as possible. >
Err.. time rebuilding is part of the reason _not_ to remove it. Applications like ecj benefit from being natively compiled by gcj in my experience. There is a gcj USE flag in Gentoo for this purpose. You're probably talking about ~150mb vs. a long re-build time. I'd take the 150mb and potential future use, especially with today's hard disc sizes. gcc still takes a while to build even on new machines.
>> Also, the build depends on jdk >= 1.5 already, so CACAO or JamVM would >> do the job fine. But you'd have similar bootstrap issues, because these >> require GNU Classpath and that requires ecj, etc. > > So gcj is the best alternative. But what happens if gcc stops > providing this in favor of OpenJDK? >
Not likely anytime in the near future.
>> Building a Java environment can be a nightmare to be honest :) >> I guess the only non-GCJ way would be to use Jikes, then an older Classpath >> to get ecj working, then build the new ones. > > I guess I am asking that icedtea6 does not have such boostrap in package...
That's pretty much impossible, unless you plan to write a compiler that can cope with 1.5 bytecode in either C or C++, and then alter the OpenJDK build system to use it :) Basically you need to be able to build the OpenJDK langtools (written in Java with 1.5 constructs), then run them (which needs a 1.5-capable Java VM). Or some equivalent.
> If it does not provide this, users should have a simple way to > bootstrap it in Gentoo... Providing a simple script is sufficient. >
Then feel free to write one as I said.
-- Andrew :-) Support Free Java! Contribute to GNU Classpath and the OpenJDK http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath http://openjdk.java.net PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net) Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA 7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8