From: Michael Vince <michael@×××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Gentoo Java / Apache Tomcat choices vs FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:38:24
1 Hi all,
2 I just installed Gentoo on my laptop after having FreeBSD as my desktop
3 for a long time.
4 I felt Gentoo would be my best shot at using and enjoying a Linux
5 distribution for my desktop, as Gentoo promises a lot of freedom and choice.
6 All up its pretty darn good but I have to say I am a bit disappointed
7 with the Tomcat/Apache/Java choices Gentoo portage has to offer.
8
9 The main reason I am interested in Gentoo Linux was the fact I can use a
10 Java supplied from Sun as an alternative to some of the FreeBSD native
11 Java compiled via ports with Tomcat. I have servers running under
12 Apache2.0.55 and Apache2.2.0 with Tomcat 5.5.x
13
14 My main problems are there is not a full set of choices of Apache that
15 being just 1.3.x or Apache 2.0.x and no Apache 2.2.x.
16 Apache 2.2.x has some great new features like a built in AJP module for
17 linking Tomcat and Apache together with out needing the external mod_ajp
18 module.
19 Secondly there is only Tomcat 5.0.x in portage, in FreeBSD there is
20 Tomcat3,Tomcat4,Tomcat41, Tomcat5 and Tomcat55
21 I do have to admit I think I will be happy with even just 1 Java in
22 Linux since I know it comes from Sun for Linux which I expecting should
23 be of a good quality. Believe it or not but doing a 'cd
24 /usr/ports/java/; ls | grep -c jdk" in FreeBSD returns a count of 15
25 Java choices, admittedly half of then being the Linux ones for use via
26 the Linux kernel emulation.
27
28 I installed Gentoo on my laptop with a bit of excitement and was going
29 to start doing some benchmarks and testing with Apache 2.2 and Tomcat
30 5.5 just to find I will have to start manually building it all and
31 manually installing it all my self.
32
33 My question is does any one have any idea of when Apache projects such
34 as Tomcat 5.5 and Apache 2.2 will be in portage?
35
36 Regards,
37 Mike
41 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list