From: "Petteri R├Ąty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Deprecating JDK 1.4
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:38:40
Krzysiek Pawlik kirjoitti:
> > Hi, > > As I mentioned in the thread "[gentoo-java] caucho-services, burlap and > hessian mess" I'm going to deprecate 1.4 - there was not much feedback > on that topic ;) > > Current plan is: > > * migrate 5 remaining packages to generation 2 (or if masked remove > them) - current list (as of today): > http://dev.gentoo.org/~nelchael/java-generation-2/not-migrated-20080713
Yes that is the right place to start.
> * make generation 1 eclasses die instead of QA violation warning
Agreed.
> * change eclasses that have >?=virtual/jdk-1.4.* (java-gnome and > php4_4-sapi)
java-gnome eclass is not used by anything so just best to make that one die and you will want to check with the php people if that eclass is needed any more either
> * rev bump every package with >?=virtual/jdk-1.4.*: > * if package has soft dependency on 1.4 (>=1.4) - raise it to 1.4 - > that's the easy case > * if package has hard dependency on 1.4 (=1.4) - try to compile with > 1.5, eventually patch it to work > * if package refuses to compile/work with >1.4 - package.mask, slate > for removal
Yeah just check for reverse deps.
> * get all rev bumped packages stabilized (if package has stable version > in corresponding SLOT) > * remove old versions of touched packages > * remove java5 use flag > * start dropping generation 1 from the tree: > * make old eclasses a stub - so unmerge works
I would just leave a dying version because of all the ebuilds around.
> * remove generation 1 bits from JDK ebuilds > * package.mask java-config-1* > * remove virtual/jdk-1.4.1
There's also a couple of other things to do with our tools so please talk with me before doing this step.
> > I'm also asking everybody for help: when the process starts please start > fixing ebuilds too - changing 370 packages is not an easy task to take > alone. >
I don't see why you would need to change this many packages. Regards, Petteri