From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Deprecating JDK 1.4
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 17:38:40
1 Krzysiek Pawlik kirjoitti:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > As I mentioned in the thread "[gentoo-java] caucho-services, burlap and
6 > hessian mess" I'm going to deprecate 1.4 - there was not much feedback
7 > on that topic ;)
8 >
9 > Current plan is:
10 >
11 > * migrate 5 remaining packages to generation 2 (or if masked remove
12 > them) - current list (as of today):
13 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~nelchael/java-generation-2/not-migrated-20080713
14
15 Yes that is the right place to start.
16
17 > * make generation 1 eclasses die instead of QA violation warning
18
19 Agreed.
20
21 > * change eclasses that have >?=virtual/jdk-1.4.* (java-gnome and
22 > php4_4-sapi)
23
24 java-gnome eclass is not used by anything so just best to make that one
25 die and you will want to check with the php people if that eclass is
26 needed any more either
27
28 > * rev bump every package with >?=virtual/jdk-1.4.*:
29 > * if package has soft dependency on 1.4 (>=1.4) - raise it to 1.4 -
30 > that's the easy case
31 > * if package has hard dependency on 1.4 (=1.4) - try to compile with
32 > 1.5, eventually patch it to work
33 > * if package refuses to compile/work with >1.4 - package.mask, slate
34 > for removal
35
36 Yeah just check for reverse deps.
37
38 > * get all rev bumped packages stabilized (if package has stable version
39 > in corresponding SLOT)
40 > * remove old versions of touched packages
41 > * remove java5 use flag
42 > * start dropping generation 1 from the tree:
43 > * make old eclasses a stub - so unmerge works
44
45 I would just leave a dying version because of all the ebuilds around.
46
47 > * remove generation 1 bits from JDK ebuilds
48 > * package.mask java-config-1*
49 > * remove virtual/jdk-1.4.1
50
51 There's also a couple of other things to do with our tools so please
52 talk with me before doing this step.
55 > I'm also asking everybody for help: when the process starts please start
56 > fixing ebuilds too - changing 370 packages is not an easy task to take
57 > alone.
60 I don't see why you would need to change this many packages.
61
62 Regards,
63 Petteri