From: Greg Tassone <greg@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] ideas for packages which use maven to build
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:54:59
1 On Wed, 2005-12-14 at 19:39 +0100, Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
2 > Joshua Nichols wrote:
3 < SNIPPED >
4 > > This leads to the question of where, then, to get the jars from. I had
5 > > first thought at build time, we could populate a local repository with
6 > > symlinks to jars that we provide from packages. This would work, and
7 > > could be automated to some extent, but I think it would be tedious to
8 > > maintain a list of jars that each package needs.
9 >
10 > Even in the face of such tedium, there is one thing this gives us that
11 > your suggestion does not: the ability to actually check for hidden
12 > dependencies.
13
14 Karl,
15 I'm a little confused by the above statement. Are you agreeing with
16 Josh, or disagreeing? In other words, are you in favor of the tedium
17 because it gives the ability to check for hidden dependencies?
20 > If we create a local, minimal .jar environment for each maven-built
21 > package, we know exactly which jars (and therefore which ebuilds) it
22 > depends on.
23
24 This sounds like what Josh was suggesting in one way, but I can't be
25 sure if you're saying that you like his idea or rather the idea of
26 making smaller, separate repositories. Just wondering.
29 > In the case where maven itself goes into the system and looks around for
30 > .jars that are there, we may quickly end up with it depending on stuff
31 > we didn't see.
32
33 I agree, although this really is an upstream problem I think. If they
34 aren't even properly documenting what libraries their application
35 depends on, I see that as a bigger problem we shouldn't necessarily try
36 to fix for them. I understand that this does happen in the real world,
37 however. :-)
38
39 Greg