From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: Hanno Meyer-Thurow <h.mth@×××.de>
Cc: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] work on gcj for gentoo
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:42:10
1 Hanno Meyer-Thurow wrote:
2 > Hi list!
3 > I would like to work on gcj for Gentoo.
4
5 Excellent! We need all the help we can get.
6
7 > I thought in a gcj-4.1 / ecj combination. Use ecj to bytecompile Java
8 > source to jar with gcj as backend. Then use gcj to create native
9 > executables or libraries out of that jar files. Creating a database
10 > via gcj-dbtool for jar / native code resolution. If possible Java to
11 > native.
12
13 The problem with this approach is your resulting programs will be
14 potentially rather slow.
15
16 While gcj can indeed compile .class files (inside .jars) to binary, I've
17 been told it can produce the most efficient of results. The source code
18 is much richer in structure than the bytecode, and opens up for many
19 effective optimizations which could only be reached through
20 "idiom-recognition" (which doesn't exist for gcj yet, afaik) of the
21 .class files.
22
23 I suspect that you shouldn't give up on using gcj as a source compiler
24 quite yet. This story may evolve with the whole ecj/gcjx/GPLv3 debate.
25
26 Just my 0.02CAD,
27
28 -- Karl T