From: Ray Hunter <bigdog@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Startup advice
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 04:11:58
1 Stuart Howard wrote:
2 > I am a Gentoo user with an urge to try my hand at coding, java seems
3 > to fit the bill as a language that has cross platform appeal and so
4 > on, you guys know the rest.
5 >
6 > My question is this, I want to spend my time learning the language not
7 > the various apps that allow me to do this so what would your
8 > recommendation be for a new starter such as myself.
9
10 get a book on java and learn the fundamentals.
11
12 > I seem to have a choice of using either blackdown or the sun packages,
13 > I have read sufficient to realise that the blackdown project was the
14 > original linux port of Sun's Java but Today what would you suggest as
15 > the platform to pick ie. is the Blackdown package well supported under
16 > Gentoo? will updates come promptly when considered stable? or the the
17 > Sun package better supported? and for that matter as a new user would
18 > I be better of with one or the other for a reason I have not yet come
19 > too?
20
21 either one is a good one to start learning java with then you can start
22 to formulate your opinions on the different jvms. I, personally, use
23 sun, blackdown, and jikes (in that order).
24
25 > Next up would be an IDE, is Kdevelop good for java or is netbeans a
26 > good choice? again your experiance would be helpful at this stage, the
27 > netbeans site seems to imply that they provide functinality not
28 > available elsewhere will this mean that my code [once I get there ;) ]
29 > be specific to netbeans? or should I go for a fundamentalist approach
30 > and stick to "simple" approach and trusty vim?
31
32 vim is a great editor...however, it is not an ide. I am very partial to
33 eclipse. what a great tool...now, if they only had a killer vim plugin
34 then my world would be complete.
37 ray
38 --
39 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list