From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Re: Re: Maven from source - version 2.x or 3.x ?
Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 16:19:18
Kasun Gajasinghe wrote:

> Hi Jörg, and Robert, > >>> FWIW one unresolved challenge for linux distributions with the rise of >>> bytecode languages (such as Java) is that compressed bytecodes are not >>> binaries in the usual sense (platform dependent machine executable >>> machine code). i know that it's a hard thing for the linux community >>> to hear but it's about time that the community acknowledged that these >>> languages are now mainstream and stop trying to force them into a >>> inappropriate provisioning model. > > So... what exactly are you suggesting? Switch in to using binaries > instead of building from source paradigm?
For Java: Yes. Use flags are still useful for dropping optional deps. I recommended that already years ago.
[http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/kasun_gajasinghe/1 One hint only: You might take a closer look at Tycho. That one replaces the default dependency mechanism with a DependencyResolver that reads the dependencies from the OSGi entries in the manifest and uses a complete different repo layout (more or less what you see, when you look into Eclipse's plugins directory). It might be possible to develop a solution that uses similar hooks into the Maven core - to resolve deps and to support a different repo layout. However, that requires a Gentoo-version of Maven ... - Jörg