From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Generation of ebuilds with maven build system
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 23:08:50
1 Hi,
2
3 I am interested in packaging spark (bug 523412). By default maven tries
4 to download 2.5GiB dependencies into my $HOME. Spark is large and has a
5 lot of dependencies. I bet converting the maven build system of spark
6 into a manual one[1] will be too complex.
7
8 In the mean time, I stepped upon java-ebuilder[2] for creating ebuilds
9 by parsing pom.xml. I am maintaining the R overlay[3], which generates
10 10000+ ebuilds from R package repositories such as CRAN, BIOC, etc.
11 Similarly, g-sorcery[6] can be used to generate pypi (for python), elpa
12 (for emacs) ebuilds and overlays. This is a good packaging model to
13 deal with large language-specific repositories and ecosystems.
14
15 What is the status of java-ebuilder, and is there an example for how to
16 use it?
17
18 maven has 153861 artifacts[4], making manually packaging for Gentoo
19 impossible. How about using java-ebuilder to generate ebuilds from the
20 maven repository and expose them with java overlay[5]? What do you say?
21
22 Cheers,
23 Benda
24