From: Greg Tassone <greg@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Sun going "all the way" with OS Java?
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 22:07:27
1 Well, it certainly seems to me that Sun is going "all the way" with
2 their initiative (announced today) to Open Source Java. For those of us
3 with our heads too deep in code (or paperwork) today to have heard the
4 details, here is a quick summary:
5
6 * Sun is making Java officially "Open Source".
7
8 * Sun has announced that they will use an OSI-approved license to
9 do so.
10
11 * No exact timetable has been set for doing this, but their stated
12 time-frame is "As soon as possible...".
13
14 * Sun has committed that "All the community will be involved" in
15 this process, primarily for the purposes of balancing the two
16 primary goals:
17 1. To make it officially Open Source (OSI definition).
18 2. To protect and ensure the compatibility of the Java language
19 (e.g., a plan to prevent/minimize forking and possible adverse
20 effects) which is very important to us enterprise
21 users/customers.
22
23 While the implementation of this plan has yet to be decided, I am
24 encouraged by the points above. They don't seem to be pulling any
25 punches here, which means this could be the biggest news that the Java
26 landscape has seen in its history.
27
28 Cheers...
29