From: Calvin Austin <caustin@×××××××××××.com>
To: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] FYI in case you wondering why 1.6 needs libstdc++.so.5
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 04:15:10
1 Static linking is normally considered bad practice but in reality for
2 linux it was the only way we could get a JDK to run on a reasonable
3 amount of platforms.
4
5 Sun doesn't have the bandwidth to test all distributions however it is
6 now confusing that the earlier release java 5.0 supports RHEL5 whereas
7 the newer release doesn't. Hopefully someone will back port the fix from
8 java 7.0 to java 6.0
9
10 regards
11 calvin