From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: Stuart Howard <stuart.g.howard@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Startup advice
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 23:09:39
Stuart Howard wrote:
> As you might expect I am running on information overload here ;) > > I have emerged well all the IDE and editors suggested [got to love > portage] and will make the choices when I am beyond hello world time, > I am reading the lecture prepared by Ted lovley work by the way > starts at my level :] > > Anyway my supplemental request is book choice and a mailing list to > watch for entry/mid level discussions? > [gentoo-user has taught me more about linux/gentoo than any of the > books I have read] > > > I see that from Amazon "The Java Tutorial: A Short Course on the > Basics (Java S.)" is due for a new release at the end of this month > and seems a likly choice, however there are more books available than > you can shake a stick at to be honest and a tip would be nice. > >
"Effective Java" by Joshua Blochs is considered the gospel around my workplace. I'd say it's mid-level book, in that you should be somewhat familar with Java. I have also heard that "The Java Programming Language, Fourth Edition" by Ken Arnold, James Gosling, and David Holmes is also good, though I haven't read it myself yet.