From: Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org>
To: Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] icedtea6 bootstrap
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 08:58:10
2008/9/15 Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev@×××××.com>:
> On 9/14/08, Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org> wrote: >> On 15:38 Sun 14 Sep , Alon Bar-Lev wrote: >> > Hello, >> > >> > I just curious... How do you see the boostrap process for normal users? >> > >> > You need jdk to setup icedtea... So we have somekind of loop... >> >> >> Yes, such a bootstrap issue is hardly limited to IcedTea. >> The same occurs with gcc for example, and other Free Java VMs. > > This is OK to have these issues, I just want user to be able to setup > their configuration correctly and easily. > >> > Users who do not want non open source package to run on their computers should: >> > >> > 1. Install gcj >> > 2. Install icedtea >> > 3. Reinstall icedtea so it compiles with icedtea and drop gcj dependency??? >> > 4. Uninstall gcj >> > >> >> >> You don't need stage 3 (there is no 'gcj dependency'), and stage 4 is completely optional. >> Other Free VMs can be used, but they also have bootstrap issues. > > Great! > >> In the long run, we probably need a binary option for lower spec. machines, >> as I've already said. > > I don't like binaries... we really need to find a way to build from source. >
There is a way to build from source... but it's always going to be one that's a little complicated and have high requirements (~6gb disk space, a long build time). It may not be possible to build it on some machines.
>> > Portage do not support these sequences... >> > >> >> >> Well this is probably a flaw in portage then, but the solution is only >> a two-step emerge process: >> >> emerge gcj-jdk >> emerge icedtea6 >> >> I don't think that's inherently difficult. > > You forgot: > java-config -S icedtea6 > emerge --unmerge gcj-jdk >
I didn't forgot the second of these because it's not something I'd do or recommend. It's a waste of time rebuilding gcc again. IcedTea doesn't provide the AOT compilation that gcj does, which is used by other ebuilds.
> It is not difficult for me or you. It is difficult for regular user > who want open source jdk and doing emerge openoffice for example. The > first jdk will be pulled... If the first jdk is gcj then this will be > installed and used by openoffice. If you want to use icedtea then you > need to complete some more stages. Most users will need some help. >
well, the obvious solution is to depend on gcj-jdk directly, but even more people whined about this when we used to do it.
>> > So we have several options: >> > 1. Have users do this manually. >> > 2. Create a script similar to crossdev that perform the sequence. >> > 3. Add a private gcj build into the compile stage of icedtea, and drop >> > the jdk dependency. >> > >> >> >> I don't see any problem with 1. Why is gcj not enabled in the bootstrap >> gcc on the install CDs? > > Because it takes space and not needed for many configurations. > > I think a simple script in the spirit of crossdev will enable users to > correctly and quickly set up their jdk. >
Well, feel free to contribute and maintain one then.
-- Andrew :-) Support Free Java! Contribute to GNU Classpath and the OpenJDK http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath http://openjdk.java.net PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net) Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA 7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8