From: Antony Riley <cyberiantiger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Question about Sun-Jdk 1.4.2.10
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:32:03
1 There's a whole bunch of subtleties.
2
3 Just unmerge all your java packages, and try to re-emerge them with a
4 1.5system JVM.
5
6 New keywords.
7 Some packages build scripts use -source 1.1 -source 1.1 which the 1.5 javac
8 doesn't seem to support anymore. [goes as low as 1.2 now]
9
10 I'm sure there's more.
11
12 The "not backwards compatable to 1.5" is a bit of an error as many packages
13 seem to specify -source and -target in their build scripts.
14
15 I couldn't even get ant to build, which is fairly important for most java
16 packages.
17
18 I was thinking if you just patched ant to default the <javac> task to
19 -source 1.4 -target 1.5, you could probably get a mostly working system, but
20 the packages which set these explicitely would still be a problem, also it
21 may be a problem with 1.5 only packages that don't specify these [unless you
22 want to go around patching lots of build scripts]
23
24 I haven't looked at the experiement java stuff yet, might take a gander
25 sometime, so appologies if I'm saying stuff that's already been said.
26