From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] OpenJDK, IcedTea and Package Naming
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:40:49
1 Andrew John Hughes kirjoitti:
2 >
3 > For those who hate the aboration of having the version number as part
4 > of the package name, note that this is intended to be short-lived.
5 > As the discussion above implies, the OpenJDK6 tree is a stop-gap,
6 > created to fulfill the need for a complete implementation now.
7 > When 1.7 is released, IcedTea will become the primary JDK again and
8 > IcedTea6 will cease development. At present, most of the
9 > maintenance work for OpenJDK6/IcedTea6 is being done by the IcedTea
10 > hackers; Sun only have Joe Darcy working on this. Their
11 > concentration is on 1.7. Thus, we should really note our appreciation
12 > of this work by naming the IcedTea project rather than
13 > hiding it under the name OpenJDK.
16 A good post and hopefully useful to readers out there but my main
17 concern really wasn't the issue of openjdk vs. icedtea but your choice
18 of naming it icedtea6 and icedtea (Debian like) instead of doing it the
19 Gentoo way with slots.
20
21 > With Gentoo, the presence of USE flags and local
22 > settings
23 > mean that we don't know what will result from the ebuild in binary
24 > form. Some builds will be roughly equivalent to the builds in Fedora,
25 > Debian
26 > and Ubuntu, but some may not. There is functionality in IcedTea, such
27 > as the ability to use CACAO instead of HotSpot, that would mean
28 > the resulting binary does not qualify to be called OpenJDK (such
29 > packages are called cacao-oj6 in Debian and Ubuntu for example).
30
31 I think we can solve this by having a virtual openjdk ebuild using use
32 deps that will force a certain set of features on the icedtea ebuild.
33
34 Regards,
35 Petteri