From: "Peter B. West" <lists@××××××.au>
To: Stuart Howard <stuart.g.howard@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Startup advice
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:03:26
1 Stuart Howard wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > I am a Gentoo user with an urge to try my hand at coding, java seems
5 > to fit the bill as a language that has cross platform appeal and so
6 > on, you guys know the rest.
7 >
8 > My question is this, I want to spend my time learning the language not
9 > the various apps that allow me to do this so what would your
10 > recommendation be for a new starter such as myself.
11 > I seem to have a choice of using either blackdown or the sun packages,
12 > I have read sufficient to realise that the blackdown project was the
13 > original linux port of Sun's Java but Today what would you suggest as
14 > the platform to pick ie. is the Blackdown package well supported under
15 > Gentoo? will updates come promptly when considered stable? or the the
16 > Sun package better supported? and for that matter as a new user would
17 > I be better of with one or the other for a reason I have not yet come
18 > too?
19 > Next up would be an IDE, is Kdevelop good for java or is netbeans a
20 > good choice? again your experiance would be helpful at this stage, the
21 > netbeans site seems to imply that they provide functinality not
22 > available elsewhere will this mean that my code [once I get there ;) ]
23 > be specific to netbeans? or should I go for a fundamentalist approach
24 > and stick to "simple" approach and trusty vim?
25
26 Use an IDE. I haven't seen any responses so far indicating that NetBeans
27 is *not* supported on Gentoo, but there were difficulties with it
28 earlier on. There has recently been much ado about providing Java 5.0 on
29 Gentoo, but again, I don't know the current status.
30
31 When I was using Gentoo, I installed all of my own Java, because I need
32 a Java 5.0 environment, and NetBeans. I recommend you ask specific
33 questions about these topics. I further recommend starting and staying
34 with Java 5.0. It is the single most far-reaching extension to the
35 language, and it is the future of Java programming. Get used to
36 generics, typesafe enums, extended for loop functionality, autoboxing,
37 etc., and don't look back.
38
39 I was an Eclipse user until I switched to J5 something over a year ago.
40 At that time Eclipse did not support J5, so I switched to NetBeans 4.0.
41 NB 5.0 is at release candidate stage now, and is a significantly better
42 than 4.0. The new GUI builder, Matisse, offers new layout manager,
43 which you will have have to distribute with applications if you use it.
44 Alternatively, you can opt for the standard Java layout managers, like
45 GridBag. As with most (any?) GUI building tools, if you need round-trip
46 design, you will have to preserve the tool settings in the code, and
47 preserve any ancillary files; form files in the case of NetBeans. By
48 round-trip, I mean the ability to use the designer to build the code,
49 modify the code (possibly in another IDE), and re-open the code in the
50 original GUI designer for modification.
51
52 When I switched to NetBeans, Eclipse did not support Swing, the
53 Java-provided higher-level GUI classes. If you wanted to build Swing
54 apps, you were on your own. Eclipse had SWT, its own windowing toolkit,
55 with closer links to the underlying operating system. You will have to
56 ask an Eclipse aficionado about the implications of that for
57 portability, but I imagine that you will need to carry some SWT library
58 functionality with your apps. Again, ask an expert about the current
59 Eclipse situation.
60
61 NetBeans supports web and J2EE app development out of the box. I believe
62 that Eclipse requires various plugins to achieve similar functionality.
63 NB is available as a platform on which to build applications. I assume
64 that same is true of Eclipse, the difference being that your GUI apps
65 built on NB will be Swing based. See the Java API docs for the
66 javax.swing.* packages.
67
68 Since 4.0, NB has been completely re-designed to align the product with
69 Ant. The build, run, debug and Javadocs build functions of all projects
70 are based on Ant. That includes projects with existing code, and
71 projects with existing code and an existing build.xml script, which was
72 my case. This provides tremendous development flexibility, especially
73 for projects imported with an existing build.xml, but also for new
74 projects built by NB. The former can generally be built by other
75 developers without NB. The latter require a little more tweaking, but
76 the process has been carried out and discussed on the mailing-list.
77
78 No, I don't work for Sun. NetBeans provided the support I needed for the
79 development of J5 and Swing based open source software, when I needed
80 it, and I like to acknowledge that.
81
82 Peter
83 --