From: Wiktor Wandachowicz <siryes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] sun-jdk 1.5
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 08:16:18
1 Hmm. During the last week or so, Java handling in Gentoo has
2 incorporated substantial changes, which are the results of
3 almost a year long work. One of the most important goals was
4 to enable Java 1.5 for Gentoo, keeping downward compatibility
5 with packages that still require Java 1.4 to work (and refuse to
6 compile under Java 1.5, for example).
7
8 This is a work in progress, but it is happening Right Now (TM).
9 Please read this first to get a better picture:
10 https://projects.gentooexperimental.org/expj/wiki/
11 https://projects.gentooexperimental.org/expj/wiki/Old_system_new_system_and_why
12 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/java-upgrade.xml
13
14 Hopefully Java 1.5, Java 1.6, NetBeans 5.* and many other great
15 packages will be unmasked in the near future, but the whole
16 system is currently in the testing stage (~arch). It is as such
17 to eliminate last flaws and bugs, but in overall everything works
18 quite well. Example: yesterday I emerged tomcat-5.5.17 without
19 a single problem, only with warnings from older (1.4) packages
20 using deprecated (!) API. And I remember how problematic it was
21 to compile such packages with Java 1.5 some months ago, mostly
22 of XML parsers using "enum" as the variable name (!) in the
23 source code...
24
25 So, masked - yes, but for only testing purposes, with the intention
26 to unmask ASAP.
27
28 I hope this will address your objections.
29
30 Wiktor Wandachowicz
33 Registered Linux user #390131 (http://counter.li.org)
34 --