From: Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldonkin@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Maven from source - version 2.x or 3.x ?
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 14:34:22
On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Kasun Gajasinghe <kasunbg@×××××.com> wrote:
> On 24 May 2011, at 14:37, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote: >> On 05/23/2011 07:52 PM, Kasun Gajasinghe wrote: >> >>>> >>>> maven-bin 2.x support continues to work through the binary package? >>> >>> Yes, we can keep supporting maven-bin 2.x for maven users. Though the >>> packagers of projects based on maven won't be able to use the support >>> for maven 2.x if we start with 3.x.This project's focus is more >>> towards packagers, right?  I think Serkan or people who are more >>> familiar with this can give an exact answer. >>> >> >> So are you discussing which version of Maven to build from source or >> which version to target ebuild infrastructure for? Those two don't >> necessarily need to be the same and your topic implied the former but >> the above talks about the latter. > > Well, mainly this project is inclined towards packagers. > But of course the users are targeted too. Currently, users have the > maven-bin too > which means they have a choice in hand. The problem with Maven 3 is > that some important plugins for users are not > supported yet.
AIUI the situation is more complex than that maven seems to be moving towards requiring specific core versions for builds. some projects i develop require maven 2, some maven 3. i manage this situation with a set of custom scripts and installations independent of gentoo. i expect other developers now work in a similar way. (same goes for jdks.) the gentoo java stuff just gets in my way now for development. FWIW one unresolved challenge for linux distributions with the rise of bytecode languages (such as Java) is that compressed bytecodes are not binaries in the usual sense (platform dependent machine executable machine code). i know that it's a hard thing for the linux community to hear but it's about time that the community acknowledged that these languages are now mainstream and stop trying to force them into a inappropriate provisioning model. Robert