From: Jon Severinsson <jon@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Gentoo Java / Apache Tomcat choices vs FreeBSD
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:22:08
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 I have no idea why there is no (package-masked) Apache 2.2 in portage, I
5 would have liked that to, but I would like to defend the gentoo-java
6 team, who I think are doing a wonderful job. Currently they are very
7 busy trying to do the java-config migration required for Java 1.5 (and
8 Java 1.6), which is an impressive undertaking considering their lack of
9 manpower. (see https://projects.gentooexperimental.org/expj/wiki)
10
11 After that I assume they will refocus on rev bumps such as Tomcat 5.5.
12 For the impatient you can take a look at the experimental overlay, where
13 Tomcat 5.5 already is present.
14 (see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/experimental.xml)
15
16 As for jdk's, currently only 5 is fully supported (blackdown-jdk-1.3,
17 blackdown-jdk-1.4, ibm-jdk-bin-1.4, sun-jdk-1.3, and sun-jdk-1.4), but
18 in addition there is 8 more available if you have special
19 needs/interests (compaq-jdk-1.3, ibm-jdk-bin-1.5, jrockit-jdk-bin-1.5,
20 sun-jdk-1.2, sun-jdk-1.5, sun-jdk-1.6, kaffe-1.1, sablevm-1.11), and we
21 are still not counting jre's (all above, blackdown-jre-1.3,
22 blackdown-jre-1.4, sun-jre-bin-1.4, sun-jre-bin-1.5, compaq-jre-1.3,
23 ibm-jre-bin-1.4, sablevm-1.1, jamvm-1.3, jamvm-1.4, ikvm-0.14,
24 ikvm-0.20, ikvm-bin-0.14), in total 25 options, counting only the one's
25 I know about (there's probably more, whose name doesn't include jre, jdk
26 or vm, and I thus missed). I wouldn't say there is a lack of choices,
27 though I would like kaffe and sablevm better supported.
28
29 Regards
30 - - Jon Severinsson
31
32 Michael Vince skrev:
33 > Hi all,
34 > I just installed Gentoo on my laptop after having FreeBSD as my desktop
35 > for a long time.
36 > I felt Gentoo would be my best shot at using and enjoying a Linux
37 > distribution for my desktop, as Gentoo promises a lot of freedom and
38 > choice.
39 > All up its pretty darn good but I have to say I am a bit disappointed
40 > with the Tomcat/Apache/Java choices Gentoo portage has to offer.
41 >
42 > The main reason I am interested in Gentoo Linux was the fact I can use a
43 > Java supplied from Sun as an alternative to some of the FreeBSD native
44 > Java compiled via ports with Tomcat. I have servers running under
45 > Apache2.0.55 and Apache2.2.0 with Tomcat 5.5.x
46 >
47 > My main problems are there is not a full set of choices of Apache that
48 > being just 1.3.x or Apache 2.0.x and no Apache 2.2.x.
49 > Apache 2.2.x has some great new features like a built in AJP module for
50 > linking Tomcat and Apache together with out needing the external mod_ajp
51 > module.
52 > Secondly there is only Tomcat 5.0.x in portage, in FreeBSD there is
53 > Tomcat3,Tomcat4,Tomcat41, Tomcat5 and Tomcat55
54 > I do have to admit I think I will be happy with even just 1 Java in
55 > Linux since I know it comes from Sun for Linux which I expecting should
56 > be of a good quality. Believe it or not but doing a 'cd
57 > /usr/ports/java/; ls | grep -c jdk" in FreeBSD returns a count of 15
58 > Java choices, admittedly half of then being the Linux ones for use via
59 > the Linux kernel emulation.
60 >
61 > I installed Gentoo on my laptop with a bit of excitement and was going
62 > to start doing some benchmarks and testing with Apache 2.2 and Tomcat
63 > 5.5 just to find I will have to start manually building it all and
64 > manually installing it all my self.
65 >
66 > My question is does any one have any idea of when Apache projects such
67 > as Tomcat 5.5 and Apache 2.2 will be in portage?
68 >
69 > Regards,
70 > Mike
81 --