From: Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org>
To: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] icedtea6 bootstrap
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:40:21
2008/9/17 Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>:
> On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 08:08 +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote: > >> And on a second thought... You need also add the gcj USE flag to gcc, >> reemerge gcc, then at the end remove the gcj USE flag from gcc and >> reemerge gcc. > > Which is a hideous thought. > > Could we not make it depend on dev-java/jamvm + dev-java/gnu-classpath > in order to bootstrap? The impact of these is a hell of a lot less. > > AfC > Sydney > > -- > Andrew Frederick Cowie > > Operational Dynamics is an operations and engineering consultancy > focusing on IT strategy, organizational architecture, systems > review, and effective procedures for change management. We actively > carry out research and development in these areas on behalf of our > clients, and enable successful use of open source in their mission > critical enterprises, worldwide. > > http://www.operationaldynamics.com/ > > Sydney New York Toronto London >
First of all, there is no need to go to such lengths removing gcj afterwards. It's not going to hurt to leave it on. Also, the build depends on jdk >= 1.5 already, so CACAO or JamVM would do the job fine. But you'd have similar bootstrap issues, because these require GNU Classpath and that requires ecj, etc. Building a Java environment can be a nightmare to be honest :) I guess the only non-GCJ way would be to use Jikes, then an older Classpath to get ecj working, then build the new ones. -- Andrew :-) Support Free Java! Contribute to GNU Classpath and the OpenJDK http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath http://openjdk.java.net PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net) Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA 7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8