From: Wiktor Wandachowicz <siryes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] JAVA_HOME set to 1.4.2
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:56:28
1 > That's actually not true. What you lose, is the benefit of not having
2 > the current VM tied to the environment. Specifically, if you don't have
3 > a user VM set... JAVA_HOME would point at the system VM... but if at
4 > some point, you set a user VM, JAVA_HOME would still point to the
5 > system VM until you source whichever file you add that snippet to.
6 >
7 > It is extremely important to note that if you decide to use the snippet
8 > for root, then java-config-1 has no way of knowing what the generation-1
9 > VM is, because it uses JAVA_HOME to determine this.
10
11 That's what I've meant when I wrote "some of the benefits".
12 Independence from the environment settings was the most obvious
13 one. But thanks for the clarification straight from the source.
14
15 Given the consequences, I think that the script snippet from the
16 docs can be put in a file. Then it could be sourced only when
17 necessary before running specific scripts. This way Kurt can have
18 best of both worlds, benefits from generation-2 and working
19 scripts that depend on JAVA_HOME variable.
20
21 Regards,
22 Wiktor
25 Registered Linux user #390131 (http://counter.li.org)