From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: "Peter B. West" <lists@××××××.au>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Re: the new java setup and jni
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 11:41:36

Peter B. West wrote:
> > Don't worry about it. Debate is not a dirty word, as far as I'm concerned. > > However, I am concerned that support for J5 is held up by what, to me, > are completely peripheral concerns. I've read the Stallman "philosophy" > about the Java Trap, and I put it on a par with his contributions to the > Bitkeeper debate. I'm using Java 5 *now*, and I'm a new convert to > Gentoo. I looks as though I'm better off abandoning ebuilds for Java > apps and development tools, and going back to the manual maintenance I > was using under FC3.
Well the java herd always needs more people improving the ebuilds. There are 151 ebuilds in the dev-java category and only a few active devs. So please instead of going the manual way, file bugs at bugs.gentoo.org.
> > In case you're wondering, I use J5 for open source development. >
I don't think there are any problems using J5 for development at the moment. Just don't use it as the system vm. Of course installing masked packages can make users a little unconfortable.