From: Ezio Bernaudo <ezio.bernaudo@××××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:33:54
1 Alle 21:52, lunedì 31 luglio 2006, Joshua Nichols ha scritto:
2 > Daniel wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > > the installation of Java on Gentoo is the hell on earth!
5 >
6 > I'm sure lots of people would disagree. In fact, I do hear fairly often
7 > that our support of Java very good.
8 >
9 > > - the installation is non transparent
10 >
11 > Care to elaborate? If you emerge java packages, things should just work,
12 > ie the appropriate JDK will be pulled for building.
13 >
14 > > - the java-"help"-utils (java-config, java-config-wrapper) are not
15 > > acceptable, because you don't really need them
16 >
17 > How are they not acceptable? They are absolutely necessary actually, as
18 > they are used for configuring and building Java on Gentoo
19 >
20 > > - the whole solution of installing more than one jdk is bumptious - so
21 > > not easy
22 > > handable
23 >
24 > I... really don't get what you saying. According to the handy
25 > dictionary.reference.com site, bumptious means 'Crudely or loudly
26 > assertive; pushy.' I don't really how supporting multiple JDKs is pushy
27 > or supportive. It just offers a lot more flexibility. In particular, it
28 > gives a lot of power when it come time for a new Java release, such that
29 > we can use the stable and widely used version, while all the issues with
30 > various packages are being worked out with the new version.
31 >
32 > > This meens that it takes long time to install java and that you need to
33 > > do some
34 > > terrible thinks (e.g. unmasking some packages ... see
35 > > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/java-upgrade.xml).
36 >
37 > Terrible thinks? It is a new system for handling Java.... so of course
38 > it needs to be in testing keywords. Or perhaps would you prefer it were
39 > marked stable and then have all sorts of fun breakages for our stable
40 > packages? No one forces you to unmask anything. Most times people using
41 > stable keywords run into the new Java system because they decided to
42 > package.unmask Java 1.5. (And please note, there is a difference between
43 > using testing keywords, ie ~x86, and using stuff in package.mask... the
44 > latter are known to cause problems or are undergoing heavy testing)
45 >
46 > > This is not the way gentoo should go because this is to heavy for the
47 > > user (that mostly just wants to install a jdk :) )!
48 >
49 > If you don't have anything Java related installed, you can just emerge
50 > the JDK. If you do have Java stuff installed, chances are you already
51 > have one installed, and nothing is stopping you from emerging a
52 > different one.
53 >
54 > > So I have collected some points _we_ should think about:
55 > > - why is jdk-1.5 still under development?
56 >
57 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/tiger-faq.xml should spell out some
58 > of it. And I'm not sure what you mean by under development. I presume
59 > you mean testing keywords? If so, this is standard policy, because it
60 > 1.5 has only recently come out of package.mask.
61 >
62 > > - is it really necessary to install an jdk-1.4 and jdk-1.5? - if yes, why
63 > > you don't need to install jdk-1.3?
64 >
65 > Yes, it REALLY is necessary. First off, some packages are known to break
66 > with Java 1.5. These will eventually can be patched. Second, every
67 > package not using the new Java system needs to be built with Java 1.4 to
68 > avoid the problems mentioned in the FAQ. It isn't necessary to install
69 > 1.3 because apparently, everything works with Java 1.4 that worked with
70 > Java 1.3.
71 >
72 > > - gentoo should never make a difference between jdk 1.4 and 1.5
73 >
74 > Um... no. There does need to be a difference. I'm going to assume that
75 > you just aren't familar enough with the differences between the two.
76 > Just a few points:
77 >
78 > * There is a different version of bytecode between major revisions of
79 > JDKs, ie from 1.3 to 1.4, 1.4 to 1.5. Bytecode is forward compatible (ie
80 > use 1.4 bytecode in 1.5 JRE), but not backward compatible.
81 > * There is a new keyword, enum. Therefore, code using enum as a variable
82 > code fails to compile
83 > * Java 1.5 has new APIs for XML at least. It introduces new abstract
84 > methods on some abstract classes and interfaces. The result is that when
85 > classes fail to compile which use these abstract classes and interfaces,
86 > and haven't specifically update to support the new API
87 >
88 > > - java-config should just generate some environment files to set a
89 > > special vm
90 >
91 > What's a special VM?
92 >
93 > > - if an ebuild requires a special vm (why ever, because the api of the
94 > > jdk is compatible in most points) it should gnerate a warning, that the
95 > > vm should be set to 1.x
96 >
97 > See my previous points about compatibility.
98 >
99 > > - it is the problem of the user if there are two java applications which
100 > > need different vms (this problem is much easier to solve than installing
101 > > java ;)).
102 >
103 > The new Java system actually handles this. We basically create
104 > 'launchers' for this, which read information about the packages it
105 > needs, and figures out if it can run in the current VM. If it doesn't,
106 > it will switch to one.
107 >
108 > > I hope you will not understand this bug as an act of aggression - it
109 > > should just help Gentoo.
110 >
111 > I hope you understand that it is easy to misunderstand comments to the
112 > effect of 'Java on Gentoo being hell on earth' as being aggressive.
113 >
114 > --
115 > Joshua Nichols
116 > Gentoo/Java - Project Lead