From: David Herron <David.Herron@×××.COM>
To: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@××××××.no>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Java going GPL; Stallman approves -- News at 11:00
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 23:51:28
1 Karl, I agree completely.
2
3 We have been looking at this question for some time. Clearly in the JDK
4 sources we have code that supports Linux, and we have code which
5 supports SPARC, but not these two at the same time. It turns out to be
6 a little difficult to bring those two together.
7
8 I would think that in the not too far distant future there could be
9 project(s) like you say working together in the openjdk project to
10 support the JDK on new architectures and maybe new operating systems.
11 e.g. The Free BSD team and that ilk might want to collaborate with us
12 more directly now that our licenses are more open.
13
14 How would *you* prefer that the collaboration would work?
15
16 I know our preference is for the collaboration to be in the bounds of
17 the openjdk project site. The governance and contribution procedures
18 are a work in progress at the moment. You can see on the openjdk
19 project site the contribution process. So, e.g., if you had a
20 Gentoo-specific source change to make, you could submit it through that
21 contribution process.
22
23 - David Herron
27 Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
28 > David Herron wrote:
29 >
30 >> Yes. I am very happy we are taking this step. And it will certainly
31 >> make it easier for you guys to incorporate Java on your platform. Well,
32 >> at least for the platforms Hotspot supports...
35 > I would think that major parts of Hotspot would be reusable for getting
36 > the Sun VM running of Linux on SPARC as well (given that you obviously
37 > have Solaris on SPARC covered pretty well).
38 >
39 > There seems to be more people than us who're interested in getting the
40 > VM running on more of the architectures we support in Gentoo, so this
41 > will most likely happen as time goes by. Heck, one would even think that
42 > various CPU vendors would be interested in helping out with some
43 > engineering knowledge, as they do with GCC.
46 > Cheers,
47 >
48 > -- Karl T