From: Kasun Gajasinghe <kasunbg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-soc@l.g.o, gentoo-java@l.g.o
Cc: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-java] Re: [gentoo-soc] [GSoC] Maven integration for Gentoo ebuilds
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 03:48:12
1 Hi all,
2
3 On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
4 > On 03/27/2011 08:09 AM, Kasun Gajasinghe wrote:
7 >> These days I'm trying to figure out and list the requirements for the
8 >> project. The idea page only contain a brief description. I'd very much
9 >> appreciate if anyone can give some further information regarding this
10 >> idea. I'm little depressed with lesser support because Google Summer
11 >> of Code is time-constrained which means I have to do a good initial
12 >> research and submit a proposal in a 1 1/2 weeks time. I guess it's
13 >> probably because of weekends?
16 > As much as GSoC is time-constrained so are our personal lives. Some
17 > delays come with the territory of volunteer work.
18
19 I apologize for asking that. It won't happen again.
20
21 For the basic goal of
22 > the project we would like to be able to natively use Maven in Java
23 > packages in the main tree. Currently we for example use the ant:ant
24 > target to generate build.xml and then sanitize that. As we would like
25 > these ebuilds to be dependencies for others an ebuild generator like
26 > proposed by Brian doesn't cut it alone. A generator could of course be
27 > useful in the process of generating ebuilds that are good enough to be
28 > committed to Portage. I think both Fedora and Debian have already been
29 > able to accomplish this so I would do some research into their
30 > solutions. Here's some quick Google results to get you started:
31 >
32 > http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenBuilder
33 > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Java#maven2
34 >
35 > If you want to have an online discussion or ask any questions you might
36 > have interactively you can find the Java developers at
37 > #gentoo-java@freenode. Please note that depending on how time zones
38 > match we might not always be around.
39
40 Thanks for the pointers again. After the discussion at the IRC, I've
41 been going through those recommended references. I think I have a
42 fairly good idea about the requirements now. I have few further
43 questions.
44
45 I'd like to know how the dependencies will be handled by maven based
46 ebuilds. Can you let me know the difference between dependencies
47 specified in Maven's POM file, and ebuild's dependencies? Are both
48 should be same? Since, Maven's POM contains the unique artifacts IDs
49 (with the combination of groupId, artifactId, version) which points to
50 a _binary_ jar, how should the developers who write _ebuilds_ specify
51 it? I got to know that dependencies are also ebuilds under gentoo i.e.
52 no binaries.
53
54 I've been going through the Ralph's (nick: sera ) suggested eclass
55 [1]. It turned out to be very useful. (sera, I got your name from [1],
56 hope it's correct! :) ). Because maven offline building is the biggest
57 issue Gentoo is currently facing, As Petteri suggested, I've been
58 going through to see how other distributions handle this. I see that
59 both in sera's eclass and in Debian's MavenRepoSpec [2], that they
60 specify a variable which points to a maven local-repository location.
61 Ralph's eclass specified MAVEN_REPO_DIR="${T}/maven-repo/" while
62 Debian has REPO=/usr/share/maven-repo. Since the file-system will be
63 read-only for ebuilds, and ebuilds should be built offline, what's the
64 purpose of this?
65
66 Further, please let me know the other issues that needs to be
67 addressed that you have in mind. It turned out that the project is
68 challenging than I thought before, and is getting exciting now!
69
70 [1] http://paste.pocoo.org/show/360442/
71 [2] http://wiki.debian.org/Java/MavenRepoSpec#Problems_with_upstream.27s_repository_.28central.29
72
73 Thanks for the help.
74 --Kasun
75
76 PS: Sorry for cross-posting this to gentoo-java and gentoo-soc.
77 Thought to do it for _this_ period of time since Donnie has agreed
78 that it's important to make the interactions with the community
79 visible to all the mentors. I hope it's OK!
83 Kasun Gajasinghe,
84 University of Moratuwa,
85 Sri Lanka.
86 Blog: http://kasunbg.blogspot.com