From: Greg Tassone <greg@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Question about Sun-Jdk 1.4.2.10
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 02:44:54
On Sat, 2005-12-03 at 09:52 +0900, Daigo Kobayashi wrote:
> Hi. Greg > > Thank you for reply my message. I try to upgrade sun-jdk 1.5 > and successfully finished.
Glad to hear it.
> I know in some case jdk 1.5 may cause problem. But I dont't want > to back to jdk 1.4.2. So I remove sun-jdk 1.4.2_09.
Understood. Depending on which Java packages you are trying to use there may be problems, but at least you know the risks. The types of problems are varied and sometimes a bit complicated -- see the other parts of this thread for more detailed information. Furthermore, in doing this you are putting your Gentoo environment into a less-supportable design. In other words, some folks may be less interested in helping you should any problems arise, so make sure you are "comfortable" in dealing with system problems yourself. If this doesn't sound desirable to you, I suggest you leave a 1.4 JDK on your machine for now (in addition to the 1.5 JDK, of course). Unless you cannot afford the disk space or something, it may save you some problems in the long run, and it doesn't hurt anything in doing so.
> If I found some problem, shoud I will report it?
Well, this gets tricky. Nothing should be reported that may be caused by system conflicts from unmasking a masked package (that's why they are masked in the first place). Therefore, unless you are pretty certain that a given problem is NOT related to a masked package conflict, you shouldn't report it (IMO). Regards, Greg