From: Greg Tassone <greg@×××××××.net>
Subject: [gentoo-java] Java going GPL; Stallman approves -- News at 11:00
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:31:50
1 For those that have been asleep/hiding/etc. and haven't heard the news yet:
2
3 Sun has finally decided/confirmed that it will release the Java platform under
4 the GPL. Furthermore, they've decided that they will do this for the entire
5 platform under their ownership; including SE, ME, EE, etc.
6
7 The JavaC and HotSpot code are scheduled for release within the next 24 hours;
8 the VM implementations are scheduled for release early 2007 (by March).
9
10 Richard Stallman is reportedly happy with the decision, and will be endorsing
11 the move via video at a press conference with Sun some hours from now.
12
13 This is significant news < / understatement >. This is the best-of-the-best
14 scenario I anticipated, but wasn't sure that Sun would actually do it. IMHO,
15 this move positions Java to grow leaps-and-bounds in all sectors; I think its
16 growth will surprise many.
17
18 For more details:
19