From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] binary virtual machines and use flags / dependencies (X, alsa, odbc)
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 19:57:40
1 On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 21:04 -0500, Joshua Nichols wrote:
4 > I don't think either of these are particular ideal. I think it would
5 > slightly better to depend on the things that the libraries needed.
6
7 Well I am not sure that would work or be ideal. A few reasons. One if
8 someone was on a server and so not using alsa, extra stuff is pulled in.
9 Now one could say big deal.
10
11 However two, if we installed all deps by default that would also include
12 X. Which is a very large app, many deps, takes forever to compile even
13 on fast hardware.
14
15 Now some time back when I was using JGenerator (a servlet) via Tomcat it
16 had deps on X. I can't recall what happened, I do not believe it was
17 anything catatstrophic. At the same time it was not the greatest either,
18 logs were created and JGenerator would not work till I installed X.
19
20 Granted both these scenarios are more server related than desktop.
21 However it's cases where the extra stuff would not be wanted across the
22 board. Much less have to package.provide stuff etc?
23
24 Unfortunately I think use flag is best, and yes it creates broken
25 symbols and etc for missing stuff. Not sure what to say, but it's murky
26 waters, and I am not sure there is any elegant, or ideal way to go about
27 it? Will keep the thinking cap on about it though.
30 Sincerely,
31 William L. Thomson Jr.
32 Obsidian-Studios, Inc.
33 http://www.obsidian-studios.com