From: "Miroslav Šulc" <miroslav.sulc@××××××××.cz>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Gentoo/Java staffing needs
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 09:02:51
1 Joshua Nichols napsal(a):
2 > Hey folks,
3 >
4 > As has been the case for some time, the Java team is still atrociously
5 > understaffed. Below, I'll outline a few 'positions' I'd like see filled.
6 > I'm using the term really loosely, and mean it more as in the sense of
7 > 'these are things I'd like people to be working on'. If current devs are
8 > interested, that'd be great, but we're also willing to mentor some fresh
9 > blood.
12 > * Java generalists
13 >
14 > We have tons of Java packages. It was around 400 or so last time I
15 > checked. As one can imagine, this kind of number
16 > generates a pretty constant stream of bugs and version bump requests.
17 >
18 > So, basically I'm looking for some people to help out with general
19 > maintence of our packages. I'd expect them to be familiar with Gentoo
20 > and Java (surprise!). If they are not already, they will need to become
21 > familiar with the ins and outs of how Java is handled on Gentoo.
22 > Familiarity with ant, which is used for a large majority of our
23 > packages, would be very useful.
24 >
25 I think a could help with migration and version bumps, lets say a few
26 ebuilds a week, but at the beginning I would need a senior developer to
27 review my ebuilds to catch my bad style etc. I've already sent some
28 migrated ebuilds from java-experimental-overlay to Joshua a week ago but
29 I've received no feedback yet nor they appeared in the
30 migrated-java-experimental-overlay.
31
32 I would also appreciate more information on Java ebuilds development. I
33 don't remember I've seen somewhere slotting "howto" for Java ebuilds,
34 but I may miss something.
35 > ...
36 >
37 > Hope to hear from some peeps :-D