From: "Miroslav Šulc" <miroslav.sulc@××××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Gentoo/Java staffing needs
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:01:27
1 Joshua Nichols napsal(a):
2 > Miroslav Šulc wrote:
3 >
4 >> I would also appreciate more information on Java ebuilds development. I
5 >> don't remember I've seen somewhere slotting "howto" for Java ebuilds,
6 >> but I may miss something.
9 > For Java specific information, check out the developer guide:
10 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/java/java-devel.xml
11 >
12 > For general ebuild information:
13 > http://devmanual.gentoo.org/
14 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml
15 >
16 > Hope that gives you somewhere to start.
17 >
18 I've went through the Java resources several times. Here is what I found
19 about slotting:
20
21 Slotting
22
23 "Libraries should be slotted according to the API they provide. If two
24 version have the same API, or if a new version is fully compatible with
25 the previous version, then they should be in the same SLOT."
26
27 I think it is not easy to determine whether an API changed a way that
28 would broke something. I think even knowing the package doesn't help the
29 dev. And documentation may not cover these changes. And using slot name
30 3 when major version changes to 4 but there is still full compatibility
31 with version 3.x might be confusing.
32
33 "Java libraries have a tendency to sometimes break API and ABI between
34 minor revisions, ie from 2.1.1 to 2.1.2. As a result, it is necessary to
35 slot early, and slot often."
36
37 I went through /usr/share to see current practice. I can see most of the
38 Java libraries I have installed are not slotted at all (probably
39 SLOT="0") and in a contrary jdom is slotted on ${PV} so it comes I have
40 jdom-1.0_beta9 and jdom-1.0 installed. I code in Java for some time but
41 I don't use most of the Java libraries I have installed directly so I
42 just know they exist until something brokes and needs attention.
45 For example, I can see batik is slotted as 1.5.1 and 1.6. I don't use
46 this one but it's not obvious to me why it is slotted to 1.5.1 and not
47 just 1.5. How can one say this slotting is correct. Maybe it would be
48 good to have "slot reason" information in the ebuild too to be able to
49 make time efficient corrections and updates of the ebuilds.
50
51 "For applications, it is mostly sufficient to keep only the latest
52 version. If the application comes in series, such as Eclipse, we want to
53 keep the latest revision in each series. Very old series may eventually
54 be dropped completely."
55
56 This is clear :-)
60 Could anyone please explain me how does the Java slotting work in
61 practice? Are there any helper rules?
64 Miroslav

miroslav.sulc.vcf text/x-vcard