From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@×××××.com>, gentoo-java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Java ideas for Summer of Code
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 15:21:36
1 robert burrell donkin wrote:
2 > On 5/4/06, *Joshua Nichols* <nichoj@g.o
3 > <mailto:nichoj@g.o>> wrote:
4 >
5 > (The following is shamelessly yanked from the blog post I just made)
8 > <snip>
9 >
10 > *1a)*
11 > /Summary:/
12 >
13 > Build most of our Java packages with free (libre) virtual machines and
14 > free implementations of public APIs.
15 >
16 > /Background:/
17 >
18 > Currently, we really only support using a proprietary virtual machine
19 > (ie sun, blackdown, ibm, etc), because packages are likely to fail for
20 > various reason with the open ones.
21 >
22 > For many open apis, such as javamail, java activation framework,
23 > etc, we
24 > have binary packages of Sun's proprietary implementations. In a
25 > number
26 > of cases, there are open implementations. However, our packages
27 > compile
28 > against and run using the proprietary implementations.
29 >
30 > For reasons why one would want to be using Free Java, see the
31 > article on
32 > the Java trap < http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html>.
33 >
34 > As for a practical reason, use of proprietary packages from Sun
35 > and IBM
36 > can annoying for the end user, because in both cases, it requires
37 > placing a fetch restriction on the distfiles. To the end user, this
38 > means that an emerge gets halted until they agree to a license, and
39 > download the files.
40 >
41 > /Goals:/
42 >
43 > * Build/run all/most packages using free virtual machines
44 > * Build/run all/most packages against free implementations of
45 > public
46 > APIs
47 > * Might want to target specific big name packages, like eclipse,
48 > azureus, tomcat.
49 > * Be able to select between different implementations of the
50 > same apis
51 >
52 > /Tasks:/
53 >
54 > * Work with upstream of packages that use propertary classes from
55 > the virtual machine (ie com.sun.*, sun.*)
56 > * Work with upstream of virtual machines and packages when
57 > packages
58 > don't compile or run with using free java
59 > * Find and package open implementations of public APIs
63 > /Hurdles:/
64 >
65 > * Lots of Java packages (300+). It is unknown how many will
66 > need to
67 > be patched.
68 > * Upstream might not care about free java
69 >
70 > * Might not be open implementations of all APIs
73 > why the emphasis on software libre?
74 >
75 And I think you're reading too much into what I said. By libre, I really
76 mean open source.
77 > why exclude ASL'd libraries from the effort?
78 ASL? Do you mean the Apache license? In either case, I don't recall
79 saying anything about excluding anything.
80 > why not open source java?
81 >
82 Uh, open source java is EXACTLY what I'm talking about :)
83 > the ASF has already made considerable progress in creating open source
84 > clean room implementations for the major java specifications (harmony,
85 > geronimo, ws). gump and harmony have been working closely with the
86 > classpath and kaffe teams for a number of years now.
87 >
88 Open source java implementations have actually made tons of progress
89 everywhere in the past year or so.
90 > - robert
91 >
92 In the future, be sure to reply on-list.
95 Josh
98 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list