From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@×××××.com>, gentoo-java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Java ideas for Summer of Code
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 15:21:36
robert burrell donkin wrote:
> On 5/4/06, *Joshua Nichols* <nichoj@g.o > <mailto:nichoj@g.o>> wrote: > > (The following is shamelessly yanked from the blog post I just made) > > > <snip> > > *1a)* > /Summary:/ > > Build most of our Java packages with free (libre) virtual machines and > free implementations of public APIs. > > /Background:/ > > Currently, we really only support using a proprietary virtual machine > (ie sun, blackdown, ibm, etc), because packages are likely to fail for > various reason with the open ones. > > For many open apis, such as javamail, java activation framework, > etc, we > have binary packages of Sun's proprietary implementations. In a > number > of cases, there are open implementations. However, our packages > compile > against and run using the proprietary implementations. > > For reasons why one would want to be using Free Java, see the > article on > the Java trap < http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html>. > > As for a practical reason, use of proprietary packages from Sun > and IBM > can annoying for the end user, because in both cases, it requires > placing a fetch restriction on the distfiles. To the end user, this > means that an emerge gets halted until they agree to a license, and > download the files. > > /Goals:/ > > * Build/run all/most packages using free virtual machines > * Build/run all/most packages against free implementations of > public > APIs > * Might want to target specific big name packages, like eclipse, > azureus, tomcat. > * Be able to select between different implementations of the > same apis > > /Tasks:/ > > * Work with upstream of packages that use propertary classes from > the virtual machine (ie com.sun.*, sun.*) > * Work with upstream of virtual machines and packages when > packages > don't compile or run with using free java > * Find and package open implementations of public APIs > > > > /Hurdles:/ > > * Lots of Java packages (300+). It is unknown how many will > need to > be patched. > * Upstream might not care about free java > > * Might not be open implementations of all APIs > > > why the emphasis on software libre? >
And I think you're reading too much into what I said. By libre, I really mean open source.
> why exclude ASL'd libraries from the effort?
ASL? Do you mean the Apache license? In either case, I don't recall saying anything about excluding anything.
> why not open source java? >
Uh, open source java is EXACTLY what I'm talking about :)
> the ASF has already made considerable progress in creating open source > clean room implementations for the major java specifications (harmony, > geronimo, ws). gump and harmony have been working closely with the > classpath and kaffe teams for a number of years now. >
Open source java implementations have actually made tons of progress everywhere in the past year or so.
In the future, be sure to reply on-list. Josh -- gentoo-java@g.o mailing list