From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: Ted Kosan <tkosan@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] New Sun JDK/JRE license for Linux distributions
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 12:22:16
1 Ted Kosan wrote:
2 > I am at JavaOne this week and this morning at the main keynote Sun announced
3 > their new license for Linux distributions:
4 >
5 > https://jdk-distros.dev.java.net
6 >
7 > Debian and Ubuntu seem to be moving forward with the new license. What are the
8 > gentoo-java group's thoughts on it?
9
10 We were contacted by Sun about a month ago, and they informed us of the
11 upcoming license change, and sent us a copy for us to evaluate. We read
12 it, and found that it allows us to mirror, i.e. redistribute the Sun
13 JDK/JRE.
14
15 Therefore, I whipped up an ebuild last week, and placed it our
16 experimental overlay this weekend, but on request from Sun, we didn't
17 pre-announce this, so as to not steal their thunder.
18
19 For those who have lurked on our IRC channel, you may have had reason to
20 believe that something was coming.
23 As you guys know, we're still in a package freeze due to 1.5 migration.
24 Even so, I suspect that we'll be making an exception and updating at
25 least the 1.5 JRE in the Portage tree relatively soon, perhaps also the JDK.
28 -- Karl T
29 --
30 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list