From: Ray Hunter <bigdog@××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Is JDK 1.3 still used?
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:45:03
Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
> as you may know, we're working on the migration to Java 1.5, much thanks > to all the hard work done by Thomas Mathijs (of axxo-overlay fame). > > The migration brings about something of a spring cleaning, too. We'd > like to remove packages that are not in use and cause more harm than good. > > One candidate for removal are the 1.3 JDKs on x86. We are aware that 1.3 > JDKs may still be the latest and greatest on some platforms, they seem > very much out of vogue on x86. > > Does anybody still need/use the 1.3 JDK on x86?
I know there are still some application servers that use 1.3 and i use it alot to test with before i actually deploy to those servers. I know that there are some java apps that require the 1.3 to compile their source. i have been looking at doing the apache derby ebuild and that one require that you use 1.3 and 1.4 to build certain parts of it (http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html#How+to+build+Derby) so i think there still might be some need for 1.3. -- ray -- gentoo-java@g.o mailing list