List Archive: gentoo-java
Note: Due to technical difficulties, the Archives are currently not up to date.
provides an alternative service for most mailing lists.c.f. bug 424647
Well, it certainly seems to me that Sun is going "all the way" with
their initiative (announced today) to Open Source Java. For those of us
with our heads too deep in code (or paperwork) today to have heard the
details, here is a quick summary:
* Sun is making Java officially "Open Source".
* Sun has announced that they will use an OSI-approved license to
* No exact timetable has been set for doing this, but their stated
time-frame is "As soon as possible...".
* Sun has committed that "All the community will be involved" in
this process, primarily for the purposes of balancing the two
1. To make it officially Open Source (OSI definition).
2. To protect and ensure the compatibility of the Java language
(e.g., a plan to prevent/minimize forking and possible adverse
effects) which is very important to us enterprise
While the implementation of this plan has yet to be decided, I am
encouraged by the points above. They don't seem to be pulling any
punches here, which means this could be the biggest news that the Java
landscape has seen in its history.
signature.asc (This is a digitally signed message part)