From: Michal Januszewski <spock@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] push kernel bugs upstream sooner and bootsplash/vesa-ng stuff
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:19:42
On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 08:46:58AM +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:

> Michal can provide you with clearer answers but here is what I know: > > fbsplash was submitted about a year ago. Some developers commented "do > it in userspace, you can do almost all of that there", and others gave > feedback on things which must be changed or fixed before it is to be > considered. I don't think Michal has had time to finish addressing those > points -- when are you going to get SuSE to hire him? :)
I'm sorry this reply is so terribly delayed, but I have been away at the time this message was sent. What Daniel said above is true. I didn't really have time to address or dispute all these issues (I'm not sure all of them were fixable). What's more, I don't think it is possible to get fbsplash merged at this point. Currently, the predominant vision for a themed console, with bell'n'whistles and stuff, is to do it completely in userspace (see the rather lengthy 'OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts' discussion [lkml, June 2006]). The idea is to do fbcon in userspace and keep only a very simple console driver in the kernel (for things such as printing oopses). Obviously, having the console completely in userspace makes it possible to do virtually anything with it -- the possibilities are by no means limited by just setting background images. I have to say I like this idea of a userspace console and plan to work on it after I'm finished with all the old stuff I'm stuck with right now.
The quote says it all :) Best regards. -- Michal Januszewski JID: spock@×××××××××.org Gentoo Linux Developer http://people.gentoo.org/spock