From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-kernel] linux-mod addition: modules.d file generation
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:26:56
Hi,

As suggested by cyfred, I've written some code to allow /etc/modules.d files
to be created automatically.

I have attached an updated version of the nvidia-kernel ebuild that uses this,
  also the nvidia source had to be patched to export parameter descriptions
(but any well written module will not require this).

Here is the /etc/modules.d/nvidia file which gets produced (it has linewrapped
in this mail, but hopefully you get the picture)

----------

# Configuration file for nvidia module

# Internal aliases, do not edit
alias char-major-195 nvidia
alias /dev/nvidiactl char-major-195

# Configurable module parameters
# For more details, see /usr/share/doc/nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629/README.gz
#
#  silence_nvidia_output - Silence output: 0 (default, verbose)  or 1 (silent)
#  NVreg_EnableVia4x - Enable AGP4x on VIA chipsets (default disabled)
#  NVreg_EnableALiAGP - Enable AGP on ALi1541/1647 chipsets (default disabled)
#  NVreg_NvAGP - Select which AGPGART is used if unspecified by X - 0
(disable), 1 (use nvidia), 2 (use kernel), 3 (try 2 then 1, default)
#  NVreg_EnableAGPSBA - Enable AGP Side Band Addressing
#  NVreg_EnableAGPFW - Enable AGP Fast Writes (default disabled)
#  NVreg_SoftEDIDs - Enable dynamic generation of EDID info (default enabled)
#  NVreg_Mobile - Select Mobile registry key when SoftEDIDs is disabled - 0
(auto, default), 1 (Dell), 2 (Toshiba), 3 (other), 4 (Compal/Toshiba), 5 (Gateway)

# To enable Side Band Adressing and Fast Writes, uncomment the example below:
#  options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1

I have also attached an eclass diff which implements this. I'm looking for
comments on the ebuild interface to this as much as anything else.

I have also added a CONFIG_CHECK_ERROR variable which can be used to specify a
custom message when support for required components is not detected - the
attached nvidia module has been converted to using this too.

Daniel

nvidia-kernel-1.0.6629.ebuild text/plain
nv-parm-descriptions.patch text/plain
eclass-diff text/plain