From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-kernel] push kernel bugs upstream sooner and bootsplash/vesa-ng stuff
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 03:30:47
1 On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 07:37:32PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
2 > Oh, also, some stuff that affected us came up at the kernel summit with
3 > regards to how we should track our kernel bugs. I'll write it up in a
4 > bit...
5
6 So the main bit that happened, was an agreement to allow the
7 bugzilla.kernel.org database, hold distro kernel bugs. The upstream
8 developers want to see the bugs earlier, and faster. So I'd really
9 recommend throwing them there almost immediately if we can, unless it's
10 obvious the problem is in our stuff (bootsplash, vesa-ng, etc.).
11
12 The big issue is that the reporter would have to create their own
13 account there to get notified of changes, and mirroring the stuff back
14 into our bugzilla would get to be a big chore. So I'd recommend just
15 starting out with a few of them, and see how it goes.
16
17 There should be a new field in the kernel.org bugzilla there soon that
18 shows that this is a gentoo specific bug (along with the other distros.)
19 If it doesn't happen in a week, poke me and I'll go poke the responsible
20 people for it.
23 Another off-hand remark that happened was a conversation about the
24 bootsplash and vesa-ng code. People were wondering why the hell it
25 wasn't in mainline already! The bootsplash stuff was remarked by the
26 whole group involved that it looked great, and was way better than the
27 old implementation. Yeah, I know some RH people still don't like the
28 whole idea, as they use X for their splash stuff, but it shouldn't be
29 hard to keep that under control, as I think the code is pretty
30 self-contained with no real issues if you turn it off.
31
32 And the same for vesa-ng, although most present were not even aware of
33 it.
34
35 So, what's the hold up? Why not get them upstream? Would save us a bit
36 of merge issues for new kernel releases :)
37
38 thanks,
39
40 greg k-h