From: Stratos Psomadakis <psomas@g.o>
To: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o, kernel-misc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] virtual/linux-sources-2.6
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 17:03:27
On 07/24/2011 06:20 PM, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> Currently version 3.0 is only available with vanilla-sources and > gentoo-sources. Therefore the problem is that virtual/linux-sources-3 > would pull in one of these even for users of other *-sources (e.g. > hardened). > > On the other hand, allowing versions 3.* as dependency of > virtual/linux-sources-2.6 might be confusing. > > Therefore, my suggestion would be as follows: > 1. Temporarily change the dependency in virtual/linux-sources-2.6 > to >=2.6 in order to resolve the current issues with dependencies. > 2. Later, when most of *-sources are available in version 3.*, revert > linux-sources-2.6 to the current dependency and create > virtual/linux-sources-3. (I think the version should be just 3 and > not 3.0, unless you want a virtual for 3.0, 3.1, etc.) > > Or, a completely different approach: Drop the versioning of the > virtual altogether and have only virtual/linux-sources-0. (This might > cause some minor problems for users of 2.4 profiles, but I'd guess > that the remaining users are experienced enough to handle that.)
Having separate versions for 2.6 and 3.0 doesn't make much sense. The are no 'incompatibilities' or major changes between 2.6 and 3 to justify a separate version/ebuild (unlike the 2.4 -> 2.6 transition). The only change is the version digits. I'd prefer the second solution. Could you be more specific about the problems that users of 2.4 profiles could encounter by that change? Thanks, -- Stratos Psomadakis <psomas@g.o>