From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] Kernel patching solution.
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 21:06:29
1 Peter Volkov wrote:
2 > Well, I did not wrote all details I have in my head now, but before I've
3 > started to work on/draft this this I wanted to hear some opinions as I'm
4 > sure some of you already have thoughts about this. Is this feasible
5 > solution? Are there better?
6
7 I hate l7-filter and wish it would go away.
8
9 I would not suggest spending time on the problem, as if I hear that
10 someone else is going to add a package that does something similar, I'll
11 go and behead them.
12
13 As for other options: You could just install the patch to the filesystem
14 and require the user to apply it. Other packages do/did this, e.g. hdaps
15
16 But the only real solution is this: get the patch merged upstream, or
17 equivalent functionality offered in the mainline kernel. Everything else
18 is working against the flow of the kernel.
19
20 Daniel
23 gentoo-kernel@g.o mailing list